Sunday 12 August 2012

Lots of Baking

cornbread
A few years ago, a good friend of ours gave me a cookbook for Christmas called "The Joy of Vegan Baking". While it is an American book, it doesn't use any weird ingredients that we can't get here and any measurement or temperature conversions have already been done. I have made many versions of the Chocolate Chip Mint Cookies over the years and it is one of my go-to recipes for cookies. I made a big batch of caramel-choc-chip cookies the other day that were a variation on the Chocolate Chip Cookies from the same book. Next time I think I'll cut back on the sugar a little - they're very sweet. Whenever I flip through, I remember that I mean to try one (or both) of the soda bread recipes. I don't tend to keep that much flour on hand, as we'll get moths in the pantry again. I really should invest in some storage containers with better seals, I suppose. One recipe that I used to make a lot is the Cornbread. I made it again the other day (after finally remembering to pick up some polenta) and served it with a veggie soup that used a bunch of our home-grown veggies.

And, just to show that we're not all about sugary treats around here, here's an easy frittata (not vegan, obviously) that I made last week:

1 zucchini (grated)
2 carrots (grated)
1 onion (finely chopped)
5 eggs (whisked)
1 handful wild rocket (finely chopped)
2 Tbsp parsley (finely chopped)
1 Tbsp flour

Squeeze as much moisture as you can from the veggies.
Mix all ingredients together in a bowl.
Transfer to a greased and lined pan (20x20cm).
Bake at 180C for 30 mins.
Serve with cracked pepper and fresh lettuce.

Mmm, all the greens in this recipe were freshly picked from our garden. If only we had the space for some chickens.

-Polly

1 comment:

  1. Yumm! I'll have to try this one, thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete