Tuesday 18 September 2012

Japanese Sewing Books


It can be hard to find time to craft and sew, so sometimes I'll go weeks without making anything. Sometimes, like these last couple of weeks, I will get inspired and sew in whatever spare minutes arise. This time around, I was mostly inspired by the 'Stylish Dress Book' (English edition), by Yoshiko Tsukiori, which arrived in the mail a couple of weeks ago. I traced out a dress pattern, as I had some fabric in my stash which looked much like one used in the book (dress I). Then I realised that my fabric wasn't nearly wide enough. Oops. My husband chose a different dress from the book that he would like to see on me (of course he chose a tricky one) and we all went on a shopping trip to our local fabric store.

I have cut out the pieces for my dress, but they're still sitting on our dining table (I don't have a sewing room at the moment) because I had a couple of other projects that I wanted to get done first. These projects  included a pair of denim pants (or "jeans like Daddy") and a new hat for E. I used the 'Black Linen Hat' pattern from 'Carefree Clothes for Girls', by Junko Okawa. It's the second time that I've made this hat for E (although I've never used black or linen for them) and have a third one cut out and ready to sew. E loves that these hats sit so low on her head. People are always pulling her hat up so that they can see her eyes and she just gives them a look and pulls it straight down again. This doesn't help her habit of walking around with her head in the air. E's favourite dress is one that I made from this book, too. It's the 'Dress with Lace Doily' in orange cotton with a vintage doily that I found in a country op-shop. The dress is nearly two sizes bigger than I would usually make for her, but she loves it and there's plenty of room to grow.

These Japanese pattern books have been so inspiring that I've recently ordered three more. I see a lot of sewing in my future.

-Polly

No comments:

Post a Comment