Tuesday 15 January 2013

PPK Burgers and Other Food

It's been a while since I've done a food post, mostly because I never think to take any photos of our food. Packaged tofu and frozen veggies really aren't worth blogging about, either. E has been helping a lot in the kitchen. She wants to do everything herself lately. Here she is making scrambled eggs:



Our big basket of parsnips was turned into soup... and then risotto... and then veggie burgers. The soup was going to be parsnip and garlic, but then I realised that we didn't have any nice garlic. I added a can of mushroom soup and it was okay, but nothing special. The next day, I used the leftover soup to make a kind of risotto, adding rice, peas and some extra stock and seasoning. We had leftovers of that, too, so after dishing up a second meal of risotto for lunch, I made veggie burgers.

I had been wanting to try this recipe from PPK for ages, but was hesitant because we don't have a food processor. I used a hand grater for the beetroot and made sure the onion was chopped really fine. Using a potato masher to mince everything together worked fine. I used the risotto instead of plain rice, omitted the garlic because we had none, and used curry powder instead of the suggested spices. I also made them smaller than suggested, using 1/3 cup for each patty. These burgers were really good. I served them as cheeseburgers in wholemeal rolls with cheese, pickles and tomato sauce. I would have loved to add some salad, too, but we didn't have any. The beetroot was fresh from our garden and I only used half of one beet to get one cup. We have really big beetroot.

Also, how meaty do these burger patties look?!


So our meals this week have almost all been from one basket of home-grown parsnips, but we've had a lot of variety. The burgers were by far the tastiest.

Have you been cooking anything interesting lately?
-Polly

[PS. My version of the beet burgers was not vegan. I'm pretty sure canned mushroom soup has dairy products in it (and perhaps some iffy additives). Add to that the fact that I served them with a generous slice of cheese!]

3 comments:

  1. I made mum's country garlic and bacon soup last night. After kendo on Monday I was so hungry and wanted something hearty, but I had nothing in the cupboard. So I made sure to make lots of soup last night so tonight after kendo I will be more satisfied!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen this recipe before but haven't been brave enough to make it, now I really want to! And I'm kinda hungry... :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made enough mix for 2 meals of burgers. The second batch was even better because I found some fresh tomato, red onion, carrot and parsley to serve them with. :)

      Delete